Friday, July 2, 2010

Lets talk business!

Before I start talking about my first day in India, let me tell you about the amazing flight I had. I check in the airport at Doha and everything is fine. I don't check my boarding pass for my seat until I get into the plane and notice that it says 6C. I look around and see that 6C is the last seat in the business class! I was upgraded to business class without even knowing! Jet airways, you guys rock!

After an amazing 3 hrs 40 mins flight in the business class, I got to India. After getting done with passport control, I found myself a taxi and head to the hotel. On the way, I told myself that I would put my urdu (hindi) to the ultimate test and see if this local indian taxi driver will notice that I am not desi ( from the sub-continent). I start talking to him and after a while, he says in hindi,' so you are from punjab?'. In my head, I was thinking, why in the world punjab? I instantly reply, ' yes of course I am from Punjab'. My Urdu has passed the test! This is amazing.

The hotel was easy to find. After meeting dad and talking about the two days he spent in India before I came, he told me to head to bed since we had a business meeting at 10.


Before I continue, can someone please tell me why in the world did the hotel put a fan in the toilet! This is the most random thing I have ever seen.

The business meeting was really cool, but I am sorry to say that I wont be able to disclose any of the content of that meeting because its confidential. So let me just say that I learnt a lot about business and how deals are made. A good switch from the engineering world I have been living in for so long. The meeting went from 12 to 4 and by the time we got back home, it was 6pm.

Me and dad decided to have a walk around the area we were living in. Nice little town with small shops and people everywhere. Then we got back to the hotel and watched the world cup games. (Go Holland).

Here is a picture of the view from outside our hotel room. The thing on the top is the Delhi Metro rails.

Its true that we didn't go out any where but the plan for tomorrow is to go around the famous sites of Delhi and on Sunday, head to Agra and check out the Taj Mahal and the cool sites over there. Then on Monday, well no plan yet for Monday!

My first impression of Delhi is that I am really surprised by how developed this city is. I did not expect to see such a huge metro network. The roads are not as bad as I expected them to be. The food is amazing, I love it! The people are really friendly and especially when you talk to them in Urdu, they really feel comfortable and willing to help.

However, I cant say everything in India is amazing. The insane traffic, the pollution and the dirt every where are just some of the things I could list as things I really did not like. But seriously, who doesn't know all this!

let me sign off before you guys hate me for making you read all this. Sorry for this not so interesting post but I promise tomorrow will be fun!


4 comments:

  1. Oh this is nothing, I've seen AC's in washrooms :P so it's pretty normal. They don't want you to sweat too much! You know the second picture looks exactly like some distant part of Karachi. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. well Sidra, I did not see anything like this in my life! This is not normal.

    This should not be normal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. UPGRADED ... wuts better than business class but FREE business class!! :P
    2. fan in the bathroom .. keeping ventilation? maybe? what??
    3. 4 hours of talking about rice .. i know im a woman and all .. still .. i cant talk food for that long ..
    4. traffic and pollution remind me of syria .. u start sneezing smog .. :S
    5. POST MORE PICS .. plz =)
    6. we miss u ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1- thanks, exactly
    2- there is another fan for ventilation, the normal little fan thats usually in the bathrooms, but this one is big, like the ones in the rooms
    3- yea.. i know
    5- i will post more pics today,
    6- miss u too

    ReplyDelete