Thursday, September 16, 2010

A day in China of the Middle East!


It was amazing! I loved China. I cant wait to tell you guys about it.


Alright, jokes apart, here is what happened.

So we had planned to go to Dubai today and do some shopping. We woke up at around 5am and were out of the house by 6:30am. The drive from Muscat to Dubai takes around 4 hours and the road is amazing. If you plan to visit Oman for a week, than you should think about doing this road trip.

On the way, There was a lot of fog in some area and I couldn't stop myself from taking a picture to show you guys.



Here are some pictures of the scenery on the way.



Our destination in Dubai was a place called Dragon Mart. It is a huge complex on the outskirts of Dubai and it basically sells everything. However, the catch is that everything in that huge complex is from China! The entire complex is Chinese and even the shopkeepers are Chinese. I literally felt like I was in China.

We reached Dragon Mart at around 11am and started our 4 hours shopping madness.

The thing I liked about this complex is that it had everything and its really cheap! Some of you might argue saying that the quality is bad, however, I was shocked to see some really good quality products for a relatively cheaper price.

Here are some of the things I took pictures of that I found really amusing.

This is a women's purse and a matching Iphone cover. It costs 600 AED (163 USD). Apparently, its expensive because its completely hand made and the blings are costly. But seriously, talk about creativity!



Here is a very nasty looking t-shirt that I was wondering who would even think of buying.



Dragon Mart is really a place I would advice anyone to check out if you are in Dubai. It has a very interesting collection of phones (Chinese Iphone 4,lol), electronics, furniture, textile, and everything you can imagine the Chinese to make (which is basically everything!).

We left Dragon Mart after walking across it for hours and started our drive back to Muscat. We were back at around 8pm.

This is one of the reasons I love Oman. You can go to a different country and come back on the same day!

Before I forget, I did not mention that even thought the products and shopkeepers were from China, the visitors of the complex were from all over the world. There were a lot of visitors from Oman which made perfect sense since its so close. The place was so diverse with visitors that I even saw a fellow Aggie from the Qatar campus over there. Talk about small world!

1 comment: